What to do if something doesn't go as expected...

Any discussion related to the 4G Eclipse GT/GS
hackish
Site Admin

What to do if something doesn't go as expected...

Post by hackish » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:30 am

First, when you read your ECU the software will always save a backup of your original rom. You will find this in the tunes directory on your computer.

In the unlikely event that a tune does not work as you expect after writing it to your car here are the steps you should follow.

1) If the check engine light is on use the error codes feature to read the codes.
2) Try unplugging the battery for 10 seconds and see if that resolves the problem.
3) Post up a detailed description of what you did and what happened and post it up.
4) Write your backup file back to the car so you're able to drive it.

-Michael

tcsoccer09

Re: What to do if something doesn't go as expected...

Post by tcsoccer09 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:43 am

I tried reflashing today after replacing the MAF because I was getting a couple lean error codes. During the tune it was coming up as "error code 3." At the very end of the tune it said "cable disconnected" and then "ecu successfully reprogrammed." My car won't start. When I plug the Tactrix back in, it won't even recognize it's there.

hackish
Site Admin

Post by hackish » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:21 pm

With this older version of UVTune there is no way to automatically recover. You need a recovery file and the procedure is this:
Open the recovery file then select Recover ECU. When it has completed writing then turn the key off and then back on. Next, reconnect and flash your tune back in.

On the MAF problem there are 2 primary things I see. First, most aftermarket MAF sensors do not come with the rubber o-ring. If you miss this it can give you a massive vacuum leak and it will have problems with running lean. The second issue is that there are a lot of chinese knockoff MAF elements out there. Frequently I find they are out of spec so they run really rich or really lean. You're always best to replace a bad MAF with an OEM or quality aftermarket (ie not an ebay one).

-Michael

edwilson21

Post by edwilson21 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:20 pm

I am trying to put my tune back my vehicle, I took it to the dealership and they reset my ECU i believe. But when I click on "write calibration" it gives me an error "Unable to establish flash loader connection". What could i be doing wrong? I'm fully connected to the internet.

hackish
Site Admin

Post by hackish » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:02 am

When the dealership updates the calibration then it uninstalls the flash so I need to reset it and you will need to do perform installation again.

-Michael

MitsuFootDr

Post by MitsuFootDr » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:31 pm

hackish wrote:First, when you read your ECU the software will always save a backup of your original rom. You will find this in the tunes directory on your computer.

In the unlikely event that a tune does not work as you expect after writing it to your car here are the steps you should follow.

1) If the check engine light is on use the error codes feature to read the codes.
2) Try unplugging the battery for 10 seconds and see if that resolves the problem.
3) Post up a detailed description of what you did and what happened and post it up.
4) Write your backup file back to the car so you're able to drive it.

-Michael
Didn't know if you got my message on the club4g.org forum or not - I tried logging into the fastworks server and I'm not able to. I haven't logged in since it was uvtunes....so it's been a while. Maybe I didn't get transferred over to the new system?

hackish
Site Admin

Post by hackish » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:58 am

I have to switch you over manually. The licenses have been copied over but the software gets confused when it finds a backup already in your account so it takes a bit of work on my part to make it happen. For PMs on forums I usually don't get them because I'm on hundreds of different forums. Here, yes I get them and they're usually for private questions.

-Michael

MitsuFootDr

Post by MitsuFootDr » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:44 pm

Usually I would just PM you through this forum, but I tried to do that and got this - "We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature."

hackish
Site Admin

Post by hackish » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:08 pm

There was a post here that covered upgrading from uvtunes. Sum and short of it, download install and run the software. I migrated all the licenses over when I stopped producing UVTunes but it is possible that some got missed. Usually it requires me to push the install through manually.

-Michael

obnoxious4g

Post by obnoxious4g » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:47 pm

I tried to write the boost tune to my car and got an error message saying it failed to make flash loader connection. So I recovered the ecu like it told me to do and I tried to write the new tune again and I keep getting the same error message. I did the steps as you suggested above in this post but nothing is working. Please help this is my only car. And it is running but it's running rough. Thank you